Friday, June 4, 2010

Mini-Review #4 - Owl City: A Band or One Dude?




Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my fourth review, which you shall read, mostly because I said so and not because I have any real power over you. Ahem. Anyway...






My fourth review is on the band Owl City. (Gets a call)






"What do you mean it's just one guy? Are you sure it's not a band? What kind of name is Owl City for just one dude, anyway?"






Sorry about that, folks. It seems I am mistaken. Owl City is not a band, but just one dude who goes by the name of Adam Young. It seems he calls himself Owl City because he suffers from insomia and can not sleep at night, just like owls. Interesting...or not.

Here is a picture of Owl City, who is just one dude by the way, and not a band.


Owl City had a big hit recently with his single (I'm sorry, but calling one guy 'Owl City' is too weird. I'd understand Owl, but Owl City? No.) 'Fireflies', which is about...umm...fireflies, I'm guessing? I don't know, since he only mentions fireflies once or twice in the whole song, his video is about a bunch of retro toys wasting batteries and energy during the night (does he turn on everything in his room when he can't sleep? If he does then he is bad!) and the rest of the lyrics make me think of recycling or world peace or something. They don't make sense to me, much like the name Owl City for just one guy.


Okay, after looking it up, Adam Young himself said he wrote this song after eating Taco Bell (eeeewwww) and says it is about bugs (ewww again) and not being able to sleep. Still makes no sense to me.


As you can probably tell, I am not an Owl City fan. Personally, I dislike electronic voices in songs. I also think that all of Owl City's songs sound the same. They all have the same electronic bubblegum sound, and I think, "Is this that fireflies song?" when I hear the intro to each one. If a person can't distinguish one song from the other until the chorus, then there is no originality. True, I have never heard music like this before. Owl City's songs are very different from other songs, but not different from each other. It's like Adam Young is ripping off his own songs. Plus he probably can't sing if he has to get a robot to do it for him.


I'm just sayin'.






No comments:

Post a Comment