Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Review #6 - Please Don't Hit Me One More Time


Remember the days when Britney Spears was your adorable little girl next door? When millions of little girls around the world wanted to be just like her? When she was on top of the world?
Seems like a whole other lifetime, doesn't it?
When I was younger and I heard Baby One More Time for the first time, I loved it immediately. I'd wait in anticipation for it to come on the radio. I'd come running whenever the video was on TV. I knew all the words (or at least thought I did).
Boy, do I sound sad or what?
Now that I am older, I'm not like that so much. Okay, not at all. Do I still like Britney Spears? Sure. Her songs are catchy. Who doesn't like at least one of her songs? And the best part is that once you get sick of her latest single, she's out with another one. How awesome is that?
But back to Baby One More Time.
This video is the definition of a pop video. Choreographed dancing, the wardrobe, innocent schoolgirl pining away for a jock, pigtails...it's everything a cheesey pop video should be. That's why it was popular. Sure, the obvious lip syncing does get annoying after a while, but the song was so darn catchy, wasn't it? And little girls around the world aren't that bright. How else would you explain Hannah Montana? (Seriously, that show is sooooo bad, but I won't get into it now.) That got me thinking...
Was Britney Spears the equivalent of Miley Cyrus back then?
They both started off as good girls that turned bad. It just took Britney longer to get there, as she was still a sweetie pie when she was 17, unlike Miley who was pole dancing at 16. But again, I'll save that for another time.
What else? They both date cute guys, with Miley's new Australian co-star, Liam Hensworth, and Britney and Justin Timberlake.
They both have a lot of lovers and a lot of haters. That's for sure.
So, was Britney the Miley Cyrus of 2000?
I don't think so. If, over 10 years later, she's still making money, Britney, for some reason, has staying power. Miley, on the other hand, is (maybe it's just wishful thinking) on the way out with little kids as she is kissing Hannah Montana goodbye and embracing Miley: Girl-Who-Pole-Dances-On-Stage.
Besides, Britney had a very good reason for being weird. Or is Miley bipolar too?
Anyway, let us all sit back, watch Baby One More Time, and reminisce about the good times when Britney wore pompoms in her hair and was just learning the art of lip syncing.

No comments:

Post a Comment