Friday, June 4, 2010

Spice Girls: C'Mon and Spice Up Your Life!










I have never been one for fads. When I was growing up, I never got a Furbie or a Tamagotchi pet. It's not that I didn't want to fit in. I did, especially since my friends were all into fads. Imagine being the only 8 year old girl in class without a Furbie to bring to the playground at recess? But there was one fad I really got into.It happened in Kindergarten. There I was, just another cute little 5 year old. Almost every girl in the class had on a cheap little ring with a picture of one of the Spice Girls in the middle. I had one as well. Of course, Baby Spice was the coolest Spice Girl. So what does my mom do? She goes out and buys me a Posh Spice ring. Posh? Really? Baby Spice was the only Spice at my school. But I loved the Spice Girls so much, so I wore that ring all the time. My walls were covered in Spice Girls stickers, I had some Spice Girls Barbies and figurines. I had the CD. Even now, I still picture them when passing the salt (or any spice, really). The Spice Girls were awesome, and I will prove why.




































The Spice Girls showed the world the true meaning of girl power. By 1998 the band had already racked up an outstanding 6 consecutive #1 hits. Their single "Wannabe" made them #1 in 31 countries. More than 23 million copies of their first album "Spice" were sold, making them the best selling female group of all time, ranking #37 on a list of 100 most successful albums of all time. According to biographer David Sinclair, "Sporty, Baby, Posh, Scary, and Ginger were the most widely recognized group of individuals since Paul, George, John, and Ringo." (Wannabe: How the Spice Girls reinvented pop fame) In 1997, the Spice Girls even released a movie entitled "Spice World". I have not seen it. I was a super fan, but come on, even an 5 year old has standards. Little girls all over the world became addicted to the Spice Girls. Every girl in school had some sort of Spice Girls memorabilia. No one could argue that they were a major success. Or as Posh would say, "That's so major!"


















The Spice Girls were seen as wholesome. Mothers would allow their daughters to listen to them. Fathers would not mind one bit taking their children to see 5 hot women singing in tight outfits. There was something for everyone. If your daughter related to Sporty Spice, it taught her that it is okay to be a Tomboy. If she liked Posh, she was destined to work in fashion. If her favourite was Scary, she was a bit of a wild child who loved to be different. If, like me, she liked Baby, then she was the perfect little angel of a daughter. And if she liked Ginger, well, trouble was ahead. (Ginger was the naughty one, in case you didn't know.) A band that appealed to little kids and adults was a smart idea.

























































In 2007/2008, the Spice Girls kicked off a reunion world tour in L.A. BCI was abuzz with conversation about the tour, as there were several Canadian shows planned. I knew some girls who even went to go see them. Alas, I could not go, and cried myself to sleep for many moons. Was the tour a success? The first London concert date sold out in 38 seconds. I will let you decide for yourself.




























Due to the success of their past tour, the Spice Girls are thinking of embarking on a massive new world tour complete with a new album. The only thing holding them back is Victoria Beckham, a.k.a. Posh, who is not yet sure whether she wants to sign on board. Using my brainwaves, I am urging her to say yes. I'd love to see what kind of songs they will come up with. It's almost as exciting as the New Kids on the Block reunion! (Seriously, that was soooo exciting. Again, I never got to see them. I cried for many more moons.)





Although clearly a casted, industry made band, the Spice Girls can be considered good. Their lyrics had positive messages, so parents and children alike could listen to them. These ladies (most of them) can actually sing. No technology helped them hit their notes, unlike many artists today. Some of the songs, such as Mama (my personal favourite) actually have substance and are, in my opinion, actually good songs. The Spice Girls weren't just fun entertainment. But admit it, their songs were catchy.
Come on, I said admit it!
.....
....
Good.

















And those are some reasons why I think the Spice Girls are awesome. They were the highlight of my 90s childhood, that's for sure. I still even have the Spice Girls Barbie my mom bought me. Of course, again, she got be Posh. I told her a million times I liked Baby, but for some reason I always got stuck with Posh. But I'll save this conversation for my novel.






































1 comment: